Sunday, September 27, 2009


I skipped out on Izzi's birthday party yesterday so I could see Genla teach in Chinatown and then come home to do my own studies for school. These kinds of decisions are really hard for me. Who wouldn't rather be hanging out with their good friends? But I have this idea that by studying well, I can help a lot of people, including all those same friends. So I have been curtailing my extracurricular activities and hitting the books as much as I can.

I won't lie - it's hard!

As my friend Jeremy said, "I don't actually like reading. It's just I like ideas, and they happen to be in books." He's a PhD student.

Actually, I do like reading. All of the Tibetan scriptures we get to read are amazing. And FWIW I love love loved reading Roger Haight's Dynamics of Theology over the summer.



Roger Haight is scholar-in-residence at my school. He used to be a professor there, but the Vatican banned him from teaching. How exciting! (not for him). You can read a bit about it at this Union alum's blog.

2 Comments:

At 8:32 PM, Blogger randomtalker said...

Couldn't agree more with your friend! Is not that I love studying, but it's a price to pay when you need to gain some knowledge.

 
At 3:23 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I never thought of turning into the light, or coming into your purpose as a practice. A cultivation over time that required the discipline of showing up for it ~ but thus the chants and thus readings like a pebble in great water...

they become more rooted when they come to you with their clarity- and clear light- slowly.

In my early years as a ballerina I knew all about discipline, and technique, and a different kind of practice.

but it's wild to think of it~ the practice of bringing your full self here.

the outside to the inside~ easy does it. yes.

as always I love your blogs- thank you for sharing. you are already helping.

- Lucy Q bird

 

Post a Comment

<< Home